I have been at the forefront earnestly urging my fellow eligible Kenyans to register as voters en masse so as to be able to be the agents of positive change in our country. After being committed with family and work duties and obligations since the voter registration exercise kicked off on 19th November, 2012, I finally got around to register as a voter on Saturday, 8th December, 2012. ( I did not register because Kibaki termed those who had not registered as useless) At the registration center, I met four seemingly bored and uninspired officials. The best thing was that there was absolutely no queue and we thus got to business without wasting time. From the look of things, Ahmed Isaak Hassan’s Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has moved considerable ground in both logistical and technological spheres as far as elections are concerned compared to the disgraced and disbanded Electoral Commission of Kenya (ECK) once led by Hon. Samuel Kivuitu. The whole process took less than five minutes of my precious time. In a gist, the following was what transpired at the registration center in order of events;
- I introduced myself to the officials as a person willing and interested in being registered as a voter.
- I was welcomed and offered a seat in front of a makeshift screen and behind an IEBC laptop fitted with a camera.
- I was asked to submit my national identity card.
- Next I was handed a Form (FORM 1A) to fill in my details, name, national identity card number, then signing. The rest of the fields on the form had been already filled out by the officials.
- I had my passport photo taken.
- This was followed by the taking of the fingerprints. And yes, no more inking but an electronic scanner. I first had my right hand fingers scanned, then right hand and finally my thumbs.
- I was then handed back my national identity card together with the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission acknowledgement slip.
- Voila! I was now good to go and a certified eligible voter.
Now I am waiting for the time to give those corrupt politicians a beating of their life come 4th March, 2013.